Cosmetic surgery is becoming more and more popular among both men and women with each passing day. Today, specialist plastic surgeons can skillfully alter just about any physical aspect of the body, from the shape of the body to the facial features. Some of the most sought-after cosmetic treatments include facelift, liposuction surgery, tummy tuck, nose surgery, and breast enhancement.
Is cosmetic surgery all about appealing to one’s vanity and conforming to today’s unwarranted societal standards, or is it more than that? Provided below is a discussion on the pros and cons of cosmetic surgery and why people should definitely take advantage of it.
Pros of cosmetic surgery
Some of the benefits of cosmetic surgery are listed below:
- People can undergo a facelift or other cosmetic treatments to get rid of wrinkles, age spots, and other blemishes to feel more youthful. Looking and feeling attractive can help improve confidence levels and self-esteem. It can also contribute to better interpersonal relationships, more social contact, and enhanced romantic lives.
- A nose surgery can help alter the shape of the nose and make it appear better. Rhinoplasty or nose surgery can also help alleviate nasal problems like a deviated septum, etc. and facilitate better breathing. Many patients have stated that they snore a lot less after undergoing cosmetic surgery of the nose.
- Women can go for breast enhancement to look and feel more attractive and more womanly. The added benefit of breast enhancement is that patients will end up standing straighter and erect to counter the added weight of the new cosmetically implanted breasts. This is beneficial for the back in the long term.
- A tummy tuck or liposuction can help get rid of excess weight as well as reshape the body. In addition to the physical benefit of a visually attractive body shape, liposuction-induced reduction in body weight is better for the overall health of the person. People with normal weight are less likely to get afflicted with obesity-related diseases like cholesterol, cardiac conditions, high blood pressure, etc. Reduced body weight will also alleviate the pressure on the joints and ease joint stiffness and pain.
- People who undergo a tummy tuck or other body weight reduction cosmetic surgeries will be more inclined to eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly to prevent regaining the weight. This will not only keep them healthy but will also allow them to be socially active and participate in activities that they could only dream of when overweight.
- Breast enhancement and other plastic surgery improve the self-confidence and self-image. A more confident and attractive person is more likely to do well at the workplace and get the promotions and higher salaries that he/she strives for.
Cons of cosmetic surgery
A few disadvantages of cosmetic surgery are listed below:
- Cosmetic surgery is on the more expensive side. It may, however, be noted that the cost of plastic surgery is declining with each passing day as supply increases to meet the demands. Also, the countless benefits of cosmetic treatment make the investment worth every penny.
- Like all surgeries, liposuction, tummy tuck, breast enhancement, facelift, nose surgery, and tummy tuck come with side effects like bleeding, anesthesia reactions, pain, scarring, etc. However, rapid innovations, better surgical techniques, state-of-the-art equipment, and specialized skilled surgeons have reduced scarring and other adverse effects to the minimum.
- Cosmetic surgery and associated recovery time mean that people need to take time off work for these procedures. It may, however, be noted that use of new techniques and constant innovations in the field has significantly reduced healing times.
The pros of cosmetic surgery far outweigh the cons. Call the nearest plastic surgery facility and fix an appointment with a surgeon today to change your life for the better!