Chemical peels Treatment
Healthy skin is a reflection of overall wellness. Everyone wants a supple, radiant, and beautiful skin tone. But as we grow older, the dead skin cells do not slough off as it happened when young, this makes the skin appear dull and lifeless.
Non-surgical cosmetic options such as chemical peeling treatment can help remove this lifeless layer and make the skin look glowing, youthful and healthier.
What is chemical peeling?
Do you wish to go back to your teenage and promise to take better care of your skin? Skin can steadily appear dull and dead as we age. This can be due to dead skin cells that mount up and block up your skin.
All of your prayers to the beautiful skin are answered at Apollo Cosmetic Clinics. We provide non-surgical cosmetic options such as chemical peeling that can help deal with such skin issues.
A chemical peel is a skin rejuvenation procedure in which a chemical solution is applied to peel the top layer, which gives you smoother and younger looking skin.
It works by removing the dead skin cells from the skin surface to allow new healthy cells to grow back. It is one of the popular nonsurgical cosmetic procedures used to treat skin problems such as scars, skin discoloration and wrinkles.
How does chemical peeling work?
Chemical peeling in India is one of the most preferred treatments for correcting skin tone and pigmentation. This treatment involves applying a chemical solution that helps peel off the dead skin layers.
This procedure can help remove blemishes, reducing pigmentation, fixing acne problems and giving skin a better and improved texture than before.
It can give your skin a completely new and glowing look. Chemical Peels treatment is most popular in women/men who are soon going to get married or have some big event coming up.
As much as it makes your skin look radiant, this treatment is comparatively quicker than other skin treatments and the results last longer as well.
What are the types of chemical peel?
There are mainly three types of chemical peels that are used to treat patients based on their requirements and skin condition. These types are as follows:
- Superficial Peels – These are the mildest type of peels and can be used for all skin types. In most cases, a liquid containing mild dilute acid is used. Glycolic acid is more often used. Sometimes dry ice or solid carbon dioxide may also be used.
- Medium Peels – Medium peels are a little stronger than superficial peels and soak deeper into the skin. They cause a burn of the skin. Usually Trichloroacetic acid (TCA) is the main agent used in medium peels. Medium peels may also be done in various steps using a different chemical liquid followed by TCA.
- Deep Peels – Deep Peels soak way deeper in the skin than superficial or medium peels. They go deep into several layers of skin and cause a burn. Deep peels tend to bleach the skin so may not be used on darker skin types. These are used only on the face and mostly a chemical called phenol is used in deep peels. In most cases, deep peels can be done only once.
At Apollo Cosmetic Clinics, our team of specialized and highly skilled Dermatologists and cosmeticians assists you in choosing the right type of treatment that your skin needs and explain you all the in-and-about of the treatment before getting into the procedure.
Why a Chemical Peel and how it is performed?
Based on your aesthetic goals, the area on which the treatment is to be carried out and the thickness of one’s skin, all these factors play a major role in choosing and carrying out a treatment.
Our Dermatologists will suggest you the best approach to suit your requirement. Your aesthetic requirements help the dermatologist determine the type and depth of the peel.
The first step of the procedure is to clean up the skin thoroughly. Your dermatologist may prep your skin by using medications such as glycolic acid, Retin –A and may even suggest antiviral or antibiotics. And then the chemical solution including salicylic acid, lactic acid, TCA or carbolic acid is applied to the target area on the skin.
The patient may feel a burning sensation for not more than five to ten minutes followed by a pricking sensation during the procedure. However, your dermatologist may suggest a cold compression or a pain medication relieve the pain during or after the procedure.
What are the benefits of chemical peeling?
- Acne– As the chemical solution is applied to the skin, it exfoliates the outer layer of the skin, which allows dead skin cells to shed more effectively. This process curbs the pimples and acne by keeping dead skin cells and excess oil from clogging the hair follicle. It reduces the appearance of acne marks and scars, giving you smoother and vibrant skin.
- Hyperpigmentation– Hyperpigmentation occurs due to an increase in melanin, the pigment responsible for giving color and pigment to the skin. It appears in different forms such as melasma, sun spots or post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. An acid solution used in chemical peeling peels the outer layer of the skin, leading to the removal of any sun spots or freckles. It will take around 6-7 peels to get the best results.
- Enlarged pores– A chemical peeling for the face is used to remove the outer damaged layers of the epidermis with the help of an acidic solution. Soon, a new epidermis will form with smaller pores. It improves the appearance and texture of the skin. However, a chemical peeling cannot change the size of the pores, but it can make your pores look less noticeable.
- Wrinkles/fine lines– When the skin cell production slows down and the top layer turns flaky, it makes wrinkles deeper and more noticeable, particularly on the face and neck. Chemical peel before the wedding can help makes wrinkles and fine lines look less visible.
- Lunch-time treatment– Chemical peeling is just a 10-15 minute procedure without any risk involved. Sneak in during your office lunch break and get respite from many skin problems.
- Minimal pain– Chemical peel is typically an outpatient surgical facility or office-based procedure. You may experience a little tightness or tingling during a procedure. Pain relief is generally not required for a light chemical peel, your doctor might give you a painkiller or sedative for a medium chemical peel and if you are undergoing a deep chemical peel, your doctor will numb your skin with a local anesthesia.
- No recovery time– You will be able to see results in just a few days with little to no recovery time. However, the recovery time depends on the type of peel directed as each type of peel affects the skin to a different extent. A light chemical peel requires virtually no recovery time, a medium chemical peel requires 3 to 5 days of recovery time and a deep chemical peel require 7 to 10 days for complete healing.
- Minimal cost– These days any ordinary anti-aging cream would cost you between Rs 500 to Rs 1000 and every visit to the salon for facial would cost you between Rs 1000 to Rs 2000 and let us not forget that there is no scientific basis backing the fact that they will give you results. Chemical peels cost you anywhere between Rs 1000 and Rs 3000, which is much lesser than the amount you spend on expensive facials, anti-aging, skin fairness, and anti-acne creams every month.
- Safe– People freak out as soon as they hear the word ‘Chemical’ but the bottom line is that the salicylic acid comes from wintergreen, lactic acid derives from sour milk and glycolic acid emanates from sugar cane. So, these chemicals are eco-friendly, unproblematic and safe for all skin types.
The advantages of chemical peels are many and all the three types of peels help deal with different issues of the skin. The deep chemical peels are kept for the worst type of skin problems including serious acne, scarring and birthmarks.
What are the side effects of chemical peeling?
Below are some of the side effects of chemical peeling-
- Heart, kidney or liver damage- As chemical peel involves carbolic acid (phenol), which can damage the heart muscle and causes the heart to beat irregularly. It can also harm the kidneys and liver.
- Infection- A chemical peel can give you a flare-up of the herpes virus, which can give you cold sores. It has also been reported to cause fungal or bacterial infection.
- Stinging and burning sensation- A chemical peeling can cause a burning or a stinging sensation in the treated area. It will subside in around one week.
- Pigmentation- This side-effect is more common in people who have darker skin. A chemical peel can change the color of your treated skin to become lighter than normal (hypopigmentation) and darker than normal (hyperpigmentation). Hypopigmentation is more common after a deep peel whereas hyperpigmentation is more common after superficial peels.
- Scarring- A chemical peel, especially deep peels like phenol can cause scarring. Steroid and antibiotics are recommended to soften the appearance of these scars.
- Skin breakout- As the chemical peeling exfoliate the upper layer of the skin, it can bring dead skin cells up to the surface of the skin in the form of spots. It is somewhat common to experience breakouts after getting peels done.
- Redness- Redness is a result of a normal healing after the chemical peeling. It might last for several months after a medium or deep chemical peel. These side-effects will usually go away on their own and won’t affect your daily routine.
Who should avoid chemical peels?
You should avoid chemical peels if you-
- Have a history of cold sores
- Have facial warts
- Have abnormal skin pigmentation
- Have a dark complexion
- Have AIDS
- If you are pregnant
Though there are some risk factors or disadvantage linked to Chemical skin peels, the advantages surely outweigh the disadvantages. The discomforts associated with this treatment are temporary and subside quickly.
Particularly for those suffering from serious skin problems like acne or acne scarring, chemical skin peels may be a ray of hope to have a better-looking skin. And we at Apollo Cosmetic Clinics are here to resolve your skin problems and make you more beautiful.
How to care after chemical peeling?
The aftercare of the procedure is very important to sustain the treatment results for a longer time. The doctors may advise you to avoid sunlight for several months and as the new skin exposed is delicate and may not be able to withstand extreme weather.
You must use a good sunscreen at all time to prevent the skin from sun damage. If you have gotten the area around your eyes treated, be sure to wear sunglasses when going outdoors.
During recovery, observe carefully how the skin is reacting to various factors like weather and food and in case of complications, you must immediately bring it to your doctor’s notice.
How much does a chemical peel cost in India?
The chemical peel cost in Chennai varies based on the type of peel used and the depth of the peeling procedure. Lighter or superficial peels are comparatively cheaper to deep chemical peels.
On average based on major cities of India, a chemical peel treatment costs approximately between Rs 1500 to Rs 3500 per session.
Other factors which affect the final cost of the treatment may include skin type, the intensity of deformity you are getting treated, how frequently you take sessions and how skilled and experienced the dermatologist performing the treatment is.
It is advisable to go for a package which brings down your whole cost subsequently and makes it more economical.
How to get the best results of Chemical Peeling
Here are some tips to get the best out of your chemical peeling in Chennai-
- Avoid Picking and flaking– Your skin may get redness and becomes flaky after a chemical peel, but it’s really important to not pick or peel off the flaking skin as you could be left with scarring. It is better to let the skin heal on its own.
- Go slowly– If you are concerned about how your skin will react to a chemical peel, it is advised to go slowly and steadily with it. Start with the lower percentage peel and gradually increase as your skin adjust.
- Know your skin– You should avoid chemical peeling if you have sensitive skin. Watch out for ingredients also as certain chemicals work best for wrinkles, other works well to treat sun damage and acne. Only an experienced dermatologist will be able to find out the best peel for you according to your skin type and problems.
- Sun protection– Your skin becomes really sensitive after chemical peeling, so make sure to apply sun block with an SPF of 30 before going out.
- Choose products carefully– Chemical peeling can make your skin really sensitive to products, so it is really important to choose your products wisely. Don’t use any product having retinoids or exfoliating products for a few weeks after the treatment as will further irritate your skin.
How does peel work?
An acid solution is applied to remove the damaged outer layers of the skin. This results into slackening of the “glue” that binds the dead and damaged cells, leading to exfoliation and boost new cell growth.
Can I use chemical peel kits available in the market?
The choice of the most suitable chemical peel is determined by the patient’s skin texture, tone, type, and problems. Take an appointment with your dermatologist to know more about chemical peeling.
You may find many chemical peel kits in the market, but it should only be done under medical supervision as the type of peel, concentration and duration depend on an individual’s skin type, so only a doctor can analyze it and perform accordingly.
Why Apollo Cosmetic Clinic?
If you’re looking for the best dermatologist in Chennai for a chemical peel, then you’ve come to right place. With state of the art infrastructure, latest technologies, highly skilled team of nurses, highly professional skin specialists and best in class chemical treatments, Apollo Cosmetic Clinics has something for every skin type.
We provide comprehensive care and strive to meet your expectations for your skin. You can visit your nearest Apollo Cosmetic Clinics clinic and get in touch with our dermatologists to start your journey to a healthier, younger and beautiful looking skin.