Beard Transplant Procedure and Risks
Beard is a universal craze and a sign of masculinity. Most of the men like to grow a thick stylish beard, however, there are others who like a clean-shaven look. For the men who are keen at trending with more facial hair, then beard transplant would be the best solution. In recent days, beard transplantation is becoming popular.
What is beard transplant?
Patchy beards are the bane of many men’s lives. With beard transplant, it is possible for those looking for facial hair restoration to consider a simple procedure to achieve the same. If the hair is unevenly distributed along the jawline, a beard treatment would be the best solution. On account of the recent advents in technology, the beard transplant procedure uses the latest techniques in hair restoration to help transplant a beard. Beard transplants basically refer to any procedure that reconstructs a new beard or enhances an existing beard. In most beard transplant procedure, the surgeon transplants scalp hair to areas of the face as needed. A day procedure, it is possible to healthily restore beard hair now.
At Apollo Cosmetic Clinics, our dermatologists follow a safe, thorough approach to all procedures and understand the concerns of all our patients. For beard growth treatment in Chennai, Apollo Cosmetic Clinics offers the best in class service.
How beard transplant works?
Before considering the beard surgery, it is important to understand its anatomy. Beard formation starts during puberty and it continues to grow and develop all through adult life for men. The growth of the beard influences the beard transplant surgery. The procedure is reasonably simple. As mentioned, in most beard transplant procedure, the dermatologist or surgeon remove hair from the donor zone i.e. from the back of the scalp. They use the hair to transplant wherever needed. The reason that the hair from this region is used is because this region of the scalp seems particularly resistant to hair loss. The hair is usually hardy enough to withstand the transplant.
For patients who may not have enough hair in the donor zones, beard transplant can be done using hair from other parts of the body including the back, the chest, the arms and the legs. It is important to note here that those suffering from alopecia, especially alopecia universalis i.e. where they do not have hair on any part of their body, this procedure is not suitable.
For a beard transplant, the surgeon would normally divide the face into two sections – the lateral (jawline, cheeks and sideburns) and the frontal (goatee and mustache). Depending on that and other factors, the surgeon may require anything between 1800 to 2400 grafts for the beard transplant procedure.
What are the types of beard transplant procedures
Normally, facial hair transplant procedures, especially beard transplants use the follicular unit extraction (FUE) methods. It is usually preferred as there is no downtime, no side effects like bleeding and scarring. The procedure usually takes 3-5 hours. A repeat session is not prescribed usually. On account of the advancement in the technique, there are no scars or side effects to the procedure.
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
In this procedure, hair graft is removed from the donor region and harvested using small circular incisions. These are made over a larger area with small, barely-noticeable scars left behind.
In an FUE, the surgeon is typically able to harvest about one of every five follicles, although results vary depending on the physician and the quality of the procedure.
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT)
In this kind of beard transplant, a small strip of tissue is removed from the donor area via a microscopic dissection process. Post this, the surgeon would close the wound edges and a single, fine scar would be left behind.
Who needs a beard transplant?
Beard treatments are most effective on those men who suffer from male pattern baldness (MPB). Patients who have been victims of burns, injuries and those who may have genetic conditions benefit the most from beard transplant surgery.
In most cases of hair transplant, the reason for the procedure is loss of hair due to genes, drugs, lifestyle or trauma etc. The same is the case with beard transplants as well. By undergoing a beard transplant, these patients can enjoy and maintain a full beard again or in some cases, for the very first time.
Why must one consider a beard transplant?
With technology having progressed by leaps and bounds, beard transplant is no longer a procedure for only some people. Beard transplant in India, as a procedure, has seen many advancements and a boom in the recent years. Apollo Cosmetic Clinics, for example, has invested in the best of surgeons and equipment to make this procedure as comfortable as possible and available to as many as possible. This procedure can help one grow their beard, as one would wish to. Very similar to a haircut, patients are in fact encouraged to bring photographs of the kind of beard they aspire to have.
Who is eligible for beard transplantation?
Beard transplant may be a procedure that many want to get done. However, not everyone may be eligible for the same. A patient of the procedure must meet certain criteria to be eligible for the beard transplant surgery.
When a person steps in for a beard transplant procedure, it is important to have realistic expectations. They must not expect 100% results on the same day of the procedure. It takes any hair transplant sometime to settle in. More importantly, the person will have to be tested for medical and mental health. It is also pertinent to understand that the transplant needs to be done for genuine conditions.
Surgeons or dermatologists at Apollo Cosmetic Clinics usually keep a few things in mind while examining a patient for their hair transplant procedure. It includes examining the beard for spots or patches which need to be covered during the procedure. The donor zone is also thoroughly examined for viability and feasibility. A thorough medical exam is usually performed by an experienced doctor to decide if the patient is suited for the procedure.
What are the risks associated with a beard transplant surgery?
The procedure is usually risk and pain free. Some patients may display the following side effects post-procedure temporarily:
- Ingrown hair
What must one keep in mind about beard transplants?
- The transplanted hair usually falls off in a couple of weeks. However, they do grow back promptly.
- While the procedure takes about 2-5 hours, it is advisable that the patient takes an off day from work and other commitments.
- Beard transplants can help many patients earn a boost of confidence
- In cases where the colour of the hair in the beard and on the scalp are different, the differences would be highlighted through this procedure and may not be recommended.
- Beard hairs will not change or adapt their physical characteristics to match those of the recipient site hair.
- Beard donors are usually not encouraged as a concept.
- The transplanted hair/graft will normally fall off within three weeks of the surgery. The hair then eventually come out as brand new side.
At Apollo Cosmetic Clinics, the surgeons usually instruct the patients on post procedure care including what to do and what not to do.
What you should know before beard transplantation
- It is advisable not to consume any medication at least 24 hours before the surgery including multivitamins.
- Pre surgery, one must not consume any anti-inflammatory medication for at least 3 days.
- Alcohol is to be avoided prior surgery for at least 3 days
- The patient must avoid being exposed to sun as much as possible before the surgery.
- Ensure that someone is with you pre and post-surgery, especially if one is sedated for the procedure.
- Smoking should be refrained from for at least a week before the procedure.
- If hair is harvested from the back of your head, make sure that it’s at least a half-inch in length so it covers the sutures.
- Vitamin C helps in recovery and healing of the wound.
What to expect on the day of beard transplantation?
- Patients are advised not to consume coffee or other caffeinated beverages in the morning of the procedure as they may increase bleeding and sensitivity to medications.
- Patients are to verify their routinely prescribed medications and consume them unless instructed otherwise.
- Contact lenses will need to be removed before sedation
What to expect post-beard transplantation?
Usually, post the beard transplant procedure, one will notice tiny crusts around the transplanted hair. Post-surgery, normal activities can be resumed within 24 hours. However, it is advised that non-strenuous only be resumed. Within 2-4 weeks the transplanted hair will begin to fall off. New hair will start to re-grow within 3 to 4 months of time. One can expect a full beard within a year’s time.
Post- surgery recovery includes some precautions that one needs to take including:
- Cold compressions would minimize the post-surgery symptoms like bleeding, swelling and pain
- One must take the prescribed medications on time and regularly
- The patient is discouraged from touching their face during the recovery period. It increases the risk of infection and may also dislodge the beard transplants.
- One is advised to elevate the head while sleeping up to 45 degrees for at least during the first two days of recovery. This is to reduce the swelling.
- Shaving the beard for 10 days after the beard transplant procedure is not advised
- The patient must avoid direct sunlight, blood thinners, swimming, saunas, smoking or chewing tobacco and refrain from alcohol as well for at least a couple of weeks.
What are the advantages of beard transplant surgery?
While the choice to undergo a beard transplant surgery is a very personal one, a list of the benefits of the same :
- Improves the aesthetic value of the patient’s face
- Beyond cosmetics, a beard is an integral part of a man’s personality and hence an investment in the same may be beneficial
- Especially in cases where the patient is a victim of burns and accidents, beard transplant is a boon.
- It helps enhance the natural look of a person
- FUT or FUE procedures leave behind no scars
- The procedures make it easier to achieve a maximum fullness of beard
- A beard transplant surgery is a relatively painless procedure with almost no discomfort
- Cost for the surgery of beard transplant surgery
Why Apollo Cosmetic Clinic?
Beard transplant in India is slowly gaining popularity. With the current lifestyles and genetics, many men, young and old, opt for beard transplantation. While the technology is making this process more accessible, it is also making it financially viable. With beard transplant cost in India starting at around Rs. 80,000, it usually depends on the number of grafts required. Beard treatment in Chennai too is gaining significant popularity. Accordingly, Apollo Cosmetic Clinics offers the most competitive prices for the best of services. Overall, beard transplant in India is now not just technologically sound but is also gaining traction. At Apollo, we have an experienced and highly trained set of doctors are available to look into each case and treat them accordingly. Patients would be taken through the whole procedure smoothly and adeptly.
- Does transplantation leave scars?
FUT or FUE procedures leave behind no scars
- Is Downtime Days, Weeks, or Months?
Post-surgery, normal activities can be resumed within 24 hours. However, it is advised that non-strenuous only be resumed.