Breast Lift Surgery Procedure & Recovery Steps
The shape and size define the beauty of the breasts. It is very important to have proportional breast shape as it boosts the beauty and confidence of a woman. Breast lift surgery uplifts the breasts and gives a youthful and attractive appearance.
What is the breast lift?
Breast lift or Mastopexy is the plastic surgery procedure for raising sagging breasts upon the chest of the woman; by changing and modifying the size, contour, and elevation of the breasts. In a breast-lift surgery to re-establish an aesthetically proportionate bust for the woman, the critical corrective consideration is the tissue viability of the nipple-areola complex (NAC), to ensure the functional sensitivity of the breasts for lactation and breast feeding.
In simple terms, during the procedure, the doctor tightens the surrounding tissue to reshape and support the new shape of the breast.
Why do women opt for breast lift surgery?
Women opt for breast lift surgery:
- To restore a better shape
- To get rid of stretched and sagging breasts
- To get a beautiful, firm breast shape
When do women opt for the breast lift?
Women opt for breast lift when they lose their youthfulness and charm when their breasts lose the elasticity of the skin and begin to sag due to:
- The drastic change in weight
A week before the surgery you will have to visit the doctor to discuss a few things about the breast lift surgery.
- The doctor would review your medical history to know the current and past medications are taken, a family history of breast cancer, and
results of mammograms etc.
- The doctor would examine your breasts to understand the quality of your skin tone and also to know the position of the nipple and areola. The doctor may also take a picture of your breasts for a medical record.
Before the breast lift surgery:
- Your doctor may recommend you to undergo a mammogram test to check for any changes in the breast tissues.
- You may have to stop smoking as the use of tobacco can interfere in the healing process.
- You may be asked to stop the intake of certain medications like aspirin and anti-inflammatory drugs as it can increase bleeding.
The breast-lift is a surgical operation that cuts and removes excess tissues (glandular, adipose, skin) overstretched suspensory ligaments, excess skin from the skin-envelope, and transposes the nipple-areola complex higher upon the breast hemisphere. Scars are hidden under the breasts but slight scarring can be visible on top of the breasts.
You will have to visit the doctor a couple of times. He will check the blood supply in the breasts and the color of the nipples. He would prescribe a few pain killers in case you experience pain. Within a few weeks your stitches will be removed. The shape and size of the breasts will improve as time passes.