Corrective jaw surgery is an Orthognathic surgery that realigns jaw structure and corrects its related skeletal deformities that a patient may require. It’s usually performed by an oral and maxillofacial surgeon (OMS) in a hospital setting which involves realigning the structure of jaws using surgical plates or templates, screws, and wires.
What are its benefits?
The main purpose is to correct a severe improper bite that may be causing functional problems in our daily activity, such as while speaking, eating food or even during sleep. Some may face headaches, joint pain or gum discomfort.
What are the criteria for a jaw surgery?
- If the patient is facing difficulty in chewing or biting food.
- If the patient is facing difficulty in swallowing.
- If there is an issue with chronic jaw or jaw joint pain and headache.
- In case of Open bite (space between the upper and lower teeth when the mouth is closed).
- If there is an unbalanced facial appearance- from the front, or side.
- In case of Facial injury.
- If there are Birth defects.
- Receding lower jaw and chin.
- Inability to make the lips meet without straining.
- Chronic mouth breathing.
- In case of Sleep apnea (breathing problems when sleeping, including snoring).
Corrective jaw surgery can result in:
- The balanced appearance of the lower face.
- It Improves function of teeth structure.
- You get health benefits from improved sleep, breathing, chewing and swallowing.
- It also results in improvement in speech impairments.
- It improves the facial appearance.
- It helps in improved self-esteem.
After the Surgery:
After the corrective jaw surgery, first few days a pure diet is required. In this period soft food may be consumed for 6 weeks after surgery after that patient is allowed to follow a normal diet plan. Apart from this, one may expect slight swelling after a jaw surgery. It is normal to experience swelling and this will last for a maximum of 48 hours after the surgery.
It usually takes 2-4 weeks after the surgery for complete recovery. You can resume your regular activities after this. However, sports should be avoided for at least 3 months, in order to ensure complete healing. For proper guidance, a structural jaw and a refreshed look, visit Apollo Cosmetic Clinics and consult our world-class cosmeticians for the best, sculpted jaw and a perfect smile!