Rhinoplasty is a surgery performed on the nose to improve its function or change its shape.
It is sometimes done for medical reasons, like correcting breathing problems related to the nose or to correct disfigurement resulting from birth defects or trauma.
It is also done for cosmetic reasons, to change the nose’s appearance and shape.
The procedure is usually performed as an outpatient procedure, meaning there is no need for an overnight stay. You will be administered a general or local anaesthesia. With a general anaesthesia, you’ll be able to sleep through the operation. With local anaesthesia, you will be sedated and the nose will be numbed so that you are completely relaxed and cannot feel the pain.
After a Rhinoplasty, you will be required to wear a nasal splint for the first week. You can expect some bruising and swelling around the eyes after the procedure. This will slowly begin to fade away after the third day. The total period of recovery can last up to two weeks.
The nose will swell a little, probably so minimally that most people won’t even notice. This swelling will reduce and eventually disappear over the next six months. The final, improved shape of the nose will be fully apparent after the healing process is completed.
It is advised to avoid all strenuous activities for three to six weeks post-surgery. You can return to your regular social activities within two to three weeks after the surgery without any recognizable signs of the procedure.
Here are some natural remedies, which will help with a smoother recovery process:
- Stay hydrated: Hydration promotes healthy circulation and boosts your immune system, thus accelerating the healing process.
- Cold compress: This process reduces swelling. Place bags of ice or frozen peas over your eyes or cheekbones, but not directly over the nose.
- Lifestyle: Choose a diet plan comprised of foods to reduce inflammation, such as; tomatoes, spinach, walnuts, berries, oranges and fatty fish. Also take regular walks, which helps in better circulation.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E helps to reduce scarring. A light massage into the area of the incision is helpful. Vitamin E is found in several products, the most common of which is Calendula liquid.
- Listen to your body: Rest when you feel tired, do not strain your body too much. Your body knows what is best for you and will always send you signals.
- Smoking and alcohol: Avoid smoking and alcohol, for a considerable time, both before and after the surgery. Consult with your surgeon regarding how long you should abstain from them.
Rhinoplasty is an outpatient procedure and is performed in two ways, Open Rhinoplasty or Closed Rhinoplasty. An Open Rhinoplasty is needed for more advanced procedures, where it is necessary for the surgeon to make an incision in the strip of skin between the nostrils. In a Closed Rhinoplasty, the incisions are made inside the nose. The recovery time for a Closed Rhinoplasty is around a week, while in the case of an Open Rhinoplasty, you may have to wait over two weeks to completely get back to your regular routine.
It is always advisable to consult with experienced specialists, which helps minimize risks and assists in a speedy, comfortable recovery. Reach out to some of the most experienced and trusted surgeons at an Apollo Cosmetic Clinic near you.