Liposuction literally means suctioning out the fat. However, one needs to remember that liposuction is not a weight loss surgery, nor is it an alternative to diet or exercise. Liposuction is a cosmetic surgery, wherein fat is removed from certain parts of the body.
“Liposuction is not a weight loss surgery, nor is it an alternative to diet or exercise”
Who is it for?
Not everyone is a good candidate for liposuction. A good candidate must fulfil the following conditions:
- Must be over the age of 18
- Must have good general health
- Have an on-going diet and exercise regimen
- Have localised fatty pockets of tissue available in certain body areas
*Problems such as diabetes mellitus, hypertension and other illnesses limit the suitability of a person for liposuction.
There are different types of liposuction surgeries available in many hospitals today. Some of these are:
- In this conventional method, fine metal hollow tubes and high vacuum are used to easily suck out fat from certain areas.
- However, if skin quality is poor, more looseness of skin is likely to result.
- Ultrasound energy at a specific frequency is used with solid thin ultrasound probes so that it specifically liquefies fat and then sucks it out.
- Claims to remove fat more efficiently with less blood loss, more smoothly and with more skin tightening than suction-assisted liposuction.
- Also efficiently removes fat from areas where it is tough, such as back, upper abdomen and outer thighs and areas where liposuction has been performed earlier.
- High definition probes have been devised to sculpt areas better.
- Performed using a laser fibre to liquefy the fat and then suck it out with cannulas. This is only effective when used for small areas, as it takes much longer to liquefy fat.
- Uses a specialised mechanical cannula with a reciprocating 1-2 mm movement to help the surgeon move it efficiently; rest of the procedure being same as in suction-assisted liposuction.
Preparing For A Liposuction
- No anticoagulants or blood thinners should be taken at least two weeks prior to surgery. Almost all herbal supplements cause some amount of blood thinning.
- Smoking should be discontinued at least two months before surgery.
Small amounts of liposuction can be combined with open surgeries such as tummy tuck (abdominoplasty). To avoid complications, it is not advisable to combine liposuction procedures with large surgeries. Liposuction is successfully done at Apollo Cosmetic Clinics by our team of experienced doctors. To know more about liposuction and if you should get it done, visit your nearest hospital.